Few things are more fulfilling to me than seeing my children enjoying each other. I dropped them off for school the other day--the first time since the first day of classes--and I was so pleased to observe them going to class together, side by side, walking and running and walking again. They were icons of childhood and innocence and friendship.
I told them so over dinner that night. "I'm so glad you two are friends," was the way I put it. They both looked at me, confused.
"Daddy, we're not friends," Laura explained patiently, "we're brother and sister."
What a great opportunity--a real live teaching moment! I launched into an explanation of how my brother Ryan and I were the same way, yadda yadda yadda, and then when it came time to leave for my mission I realized how much I'd miss him, yadda yadda yadda, and I knew that he and I were best friends.
I sat back, very pleased with myself--what a great father! How lucky these children to have me!
The kids waited to make sure I was done, looked at each other, and then back at me.
"We're just brother and sister," concluded Cole. Laura smiled at him and agreed heartily.
"Well, even if they're not friends," I tell myself, "at least they're allies."
1 comment:
Kids are so funny. They probably think they're going to marry each other. Our kids used to think that when they were younger.
Audrey still thinks she's going to marry Steve. :)
Great job on the run, Jennifer! We'll be reading about you running marathons next. :)
Post a Comment