Thursday, November 18, 2010

We interrupt this elongated porter update session to bring you a rant on not so smart people (cause we don't say the s word in our family)

Disclosure: This post will not make you smile like most of my others :) ....very unhappy content (just in case you're trying to have a "there are no idiots or bad things going on in the world" day and we all need those, if that's the case, you can look at this picture and stop reading.








You may have heard that Amazon had a book for sale entitled The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure. If you didn't Amazone had a book for sale entitled that. Not only did they have it listed, they defended it under the guise of censorship (*(&(*&#*(&(&@). They eventually took it off because good people took a stand.
Here's one article on the situation...
http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2010/11/17/parents-take-a-stand-to-stage-peaceful-protest-at-amazon-headquarters/

I have often thought if a company makes a mistake like McDonald's did about an issue a few years ago (they made a decision, the public responded, they then corrected it) then you forgive and forget so to speak. Don't we all want the same leniency? So I was ready to treat Amazon the same way and then I happened upon a really ridiculous article and read some of the comments left and decided this mistake was too big about too sensitive a topic.

My brother is more than passionate about politics and after a 30 minute conversation on what is wrong with the world I asked him what exactly I was supposed to do about it right now and he said tell people, they tell people and then things start to change. It's a good theory but I'm not so sure about it, but in the spirit of that I wanted to tell people. You don't have to do anything, nothing will happen to you if you don't forward this information, but you will be educated. There was a time when homosexuality was gawked at because of the audacity of the idea. There can not be a time where people are allowed to think that pedophilers have any rights, to publish a book, to have a web site, to have a voice. I believe Amazon needs to strongly correct their wrong and until then my peasley little shopping will be done elsewhere (and I loved shopping at Amazon.com...loved it). Here is my email to them, so far the only thing I've received back is that the book is no longer for sale. I liked the article I posted above because they are still letting their voice be heard. They have a protest scheduled for Nov. 22nd. Amazon and the world need to know that this destructive idea will not get it's foot in the door.

I am not a victim/survivor of this atrocity, but know people who are, those people and unfortunately those yet to come deserve their voice to be heard.

Dear Amazon punks....(they don't let you put a greeting or I may have put that)
I can not find a way to close my amazon account and to stop receiving emails. And yes this is due to the very poor judgment of the situation with the pedophile book. It should never had been allowed and certainly never defended. I wonder how the person who made this decision would have felt if they or someone they love were a victim of this very heinous act. I doubt censorship or freedom of speech would have been considered. It was once said by a pedophile regarding his victims that they destroyed who that person might have been. To accept in any form the 'right' to promote this behavior is unacceptable and the deciding person on this should be ashamed of themselves for hiding behind the flag of freedom to allow such. I can not support such people and potential decisions like this. So Long. Find and report those who bought the book and donate a HUGE sum of money to an organization that gives support to molested and raped children and I'll consider coming back.

close email

This does not need to be brushed under the rug as I'm sure Amazon hopes. Taking the book off is not enough. I don't think they will actually do anything, but I know that I've done something to protect those who can't protect themselves.


7 comments:

The Ricks' said...

I heard about this story, but didn't think much of it. Thanks for giving me a new way to think about it.

While I totally agree with you, shouldn't the publisher of the book also share some responibility? Whoever wrote it, sent it to a publisher and more than one person said, "yes, let's publish this book".

Let me know what you think.

Jennifer said...

good point and I agree. It is reported that it was self published. My brother the conspiracy theorist says that the publisher is actually amazon. I googled to try to find accuracy, didn't look hard but couldn't find anything other than self published. I think possibly just electronically?

Jennifer said...

I am not Cole, I am Jennifer :), Cole has a blog and wanted a profile and I thought we could do both apparently not.

The Ricks' said...

That makes me feel a little better. At least there isn't more than one company willing to sell this kind of stuff!

Jodi said...

Good for you! If we don't stand up for what is right, then who will! I hadn't heard about it, have never shopped on Amazon and never will! Thanks!

Janet said...

I love, love shopping Amazon too.
:(

I think my letter will say "I just deleted all the Christmas presents I had in my shopping cart."

Tricia said...

You're awesome. I like how you started this post. And I like that you let your voice be heard. Evil will triumph if good people do nothing.