It's my sweetie's birthday, and I can't afford to give her any material gift that is representative of what she deserves. But that's okay, she says, just write her something; however, I now have essentially the same problem! I need the skills of ol' Bill Shakespeare--or at least Nick Sparks.
Unfortunately, all of us are stuck with me.
In writing something for a loved one, I'm often tempted to use phrases that might be considered cliché. For instance:
She's the best thing that ever happened to me.
Doesn't matter how true it is--it's still overused. And it comes across as too dramatic. It's like the Jerry Springer Show, or the current presidential campaign. I mean, really? Really??
I had a buddy back in high school who had a girlfriend. One night my friend's dad had a dream. There was this tree, and it grew and grew and bent over a fence or something, and merged into another tree that was growing over there. And then they began to grow together as one, blah blah blah. His dad's interpretation of the dream was that the two families (my friend's and his girlfriend's) would meet and become one. My girlfriend at the time thought this was the most wonderful thing ever, and wouldn't it be perfect to have some sign like that? I said, Really??
Within six months the predestined couple broke up because my buddy wouldn't part with his ragged denim jacket. (Can you blame him?)
Okay, I actually don't remember why they broke up--but that's not the point. The point is, most of us don't get a sign--we have to make our own. That's what Jennifer has done for me. That's what Jennifer IS, in part, for me. She's a sign that we're meant to be together. She's a sign that life is good, and that's it's even better when we're together. Know what else?
She's the best thing that ever happened to me.
But that's just the beginning. Today we celebrate that she "happened" 36 years ago, and that's fortunate for all who know her. It's my privilege and pleasure to boast that she didn't just happen to me once--she happens to me again and again and again. Every day for ten years she's happened to me, whether she feels like it or not, whether I deserve it or not, whether it's fun or hard or early or convenient...or not. She happened to me last night while I was sleeping, this morning before I left for work, and just now as I thought of her. And that is anything but cliché.
Jennifer, I love you. Happy birthday!
bp
I've got an angel
She doesn't wear any wings
She wears a heart that could melt my own
She wears a smile that could make you want to sing
She gives me presents
With her presence alone
She gives me everything I could wish for
She gives me kisses on the lips just for coming home
She can make angels
I've seen it with my own eyes
You've gotta be careful when you've got good love
'Cuz them angels will just keep on multiplying
But you're so busy changing the world
Just one smile and you could change all of mine
We share the same soul
--"Angel" by Jack Johnson
4 comments:
Wow! That was so sweet!
Happy Birthday Jennifer!
Happy Birthday Jenn!!!!
You are wonderful and amazing!!!
And you have the sweetest hubby!!!
Love your sweet comments.
Love Jack Johnson.
Love that I always thought I was older than Jennifer but I'm not. Hee Hee! :)
Happy Birthday!!
You two are perfect for each other! Happy Belated B-day!
Post a Comment