Saturday, December 4, 2010

"If I ask you a question, will you tell me the truth?"

SPOILER ALERT: If children who can read are around, send them away.



So, it's reading time before bed. Hannah and I with a book on the couch, Brandon and Laura in the chair across the room. I'm pretty sure Hannah's reading to me, because her version of the story is so much better than the one in the book. I'm fairly certain I'm half way checking some kind of list in my head. Then something about the way Brandon's looking at Laura catches my attention...it's endearing, like they're having a moment...awww how sweet. I watch them for a bit then listen to Hannah nanna's story. At some point I hear Laura say, "And then you'll get me up after Hannah goes to sleep and I'll help?" I'm thinking this sounds awfully suspicious. I think I tune out the rest in denial. We wrap up reading time, put girls in bed and I look at Brandon like...What in the world just happened here ? As I'm telling Laura goodnight she informs me she knows the secret of Christmas and is going to help on Christmas eve. Again I look at Brandon like...What in the world just happened here?....I'm not this huge Santa fan..He's great, we love it on Christmas morning...the extra excitement, we certainly use the better watch out, better not pout song, but only once or twice. I love the premise (sp?) behind the whole deal, but being Santa is a lot work and no credit all the while you're pretty much telling "stories" to your kids.
When Cole came to us around the age of 5 or 6 and said Santa can't be real for about five reasons, we caved. Cole listens to all adult conversations and has the memory of a computer so I wasn't shocked. Laura's 8 and while that seems old (in Santa years for some, certainly at our house), Laura is just so innocent to me, she does not care about adult's conversations (not that that makes Cole uninnocent, there's just a difference).

I finally corner Brandon and ask how this happened. He said she started the conversation with....

"If I ask you something, will you tell me the truth?"

...did he have another choice?..I don't think so. He carefully explained the spirit behind it and how "he's" real but not real. Apparently two girls at school were talking about it, one said he's real the other not. This is what public school gets ya ;). At least she came to us to clear it up as I hope she'll do with even more important gems she'll hear at school.

She can't wait until Christmas eve, Brandon said she continually repeated that sentiment.

So I've since wondered why this upset me so, not being the hugest Santa fan and all. I've come to the conclusion that it's such a part of childhood that symbolizes growing up. As you grow up there will often be questions of "how old were you when you found out", "how did you find out", and once you know, you know and there's no going back. It's hard having your kids grow up on you!

I'm excited she gets to help and while I wasn't part of the conversation to explain how this all works I will never, ever forget the sweetness and love as I watched Brandon talk to her.....it was magical.

5 comments:

The Hargretts said...

What a sweet story. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with the santa situation. Still it's cool to read how excited Laura is to help out!

Mrs. Blimes said...

Make me cry again please. Dang! This sounds like one of those precious parenting moments you never ever want to forget. Sigh.

The Miller Family said...

Basically, I boo-hooed through this whole post ;o) Such a sweet girl. Such a life-changing moment. I echo everything you said. Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! I love Santa, as I've written about on my blog last year. I love that he's based on a real person many many years ago that did good to others.

Tricia said...

Such a nice post. I read it like I was listening to you talk. Of course, that just made me miss you. I'm glad you were able to catch the look between Brandon and Laura. You'll always remember that.